(This page just shows the latest 20 or so posts, sign up to the daily newsletters to get all of them or join us at Slack)
- Without Further Ado: Power10 Entry Server Pricingby Timothy Prickett Morgan on 2022-09-26 at 04:28
We have been through the new Power10 entry servers from just about every angle imaginable, which has been our great pleasure. And now, we come to the moment we have all been waiting for: What is the bang for the buck of a Power10 machine? As is usually the case when you ask any question, the answer is: It depends. To try to figure this out, we put together pricing information for all of the different variations of processors for the Power8, Power9, and now Power10 entry servers with one of two processors. And when we say all of … The post Without Further Ado: Power10 Entry Server Pricing appeared first on IT Jungle.
- IBM i PTF Guide, Volume 24, Number 39by Doug Bidwell on 2022-09-26 at 04:20
Another week, another security vulnerability. This one could be a biggie, so pay attention. Security Bulletin: IBM Common Cryptographic Architecture (CCA) is vulnerable to denial of service (CVE-2022-22423), which you can find out more about here. The vulnerability can be fixed by applying a PTF to IBM i. Releases 7.5, 7.4, 7.3, and 7.2 of IBM i will be fixed. Each PTF bundles updates to CCA 5.x MTM for 4767 and CCA 7.x MTM for 4769, bringing their respective firmware levels to 5.7.12 and 7.3.44 or later, respectively. Here are the fixes for this particular vulnerability: IBM i release … The post IBM i PTF Guide, Volume 24, Number 39 appeared first on IT Jungle.
- It’s Time To Take The IBM i Marketplace Surveyby Timothy Prickett Morgan on 2022-09-26 at 04:20
The 9th annual IBM i Marketplace Survey that HelpSystems does every fall is open, and if we hope to get some insight into what is going on in the base and report back on it in January 2023, we need you to take a few moments right now to take the survey and tell us about your IBM i shop. This survey, which was conceived of by the late Dan Burger of IT Jungle and Tom Huntington of HelpSystems, was started nine years ago because we were all frustrated by the lack of insight about the IBM i base. … The post It’s Time To Take The IBM i Marketplace Survey appeared first on IT Jungle.
- Guru: Beware of SQL Precompiler Variablesby Ted Holt on 2022-09-26 at 04:20
In a famous Henny Youngman joke, a patient says, “Doctor, it hurts when I do this,” to which the doctor replies, “Then don’t do that.” Corny jokes aside, I have spent decades trying to identify programming practices that hurt when I do them, and having identified them, cease to do them. A case in point is the misuse of the variables that the SQL precompiler defines in my RPG programs, variables such as SQLCODE, SQLSTATE, and SQLER3. “So what,” I hear you ask, “is the problem with these variables? ” Well, they’re global, and global variables are evil. Global … The post Guru: Beware of SQL Precompiler Variables appeared first on IT Jungle.
- What CMOD Functions You Can Access Via New Navby Alex Woodie on 2022-09-26 at 04:20
IBM made a lot of news in May with the launch of IBM i 7.5 and Technology Refreshes for IBM i 7.4 and 7.3. One of the items that you may have missed in the avalanche of news was the unveiling of a new interface in IBM Navigator for i (a.k.a., New Navigator) that gives access to Content Manager OnDemand for i (CMOD) functionality. CMOD, as you probably know, is a licensed application from IBM that has been around for decades, which means there has to be a good number of customers using it for essential business functions. While paper … The post What CMOD Functions You Can Access Via New Nav appeared first on IT Jungle.
- Happening tonight! stevencpitcher #IBMiby -=Michael=- (@ThoreauClyde) on 2022-09-24 at 23:23
Happening tonight! stevencpitcher #IBMi twitter.com/CTXiUG/status/…- -=Michael=- (@ThoreauClyde)15:30 – Sep 24, 2022Quoted Tweet:Tomorrow @CTXiUG has its monthly meeting with @stevencpitcher talking about the real risks of malware in your #IBMi. Online & free to all.Go here to register. I am sure this is going to open everyone’s eyes.ctxiug.blogspot.com#IBMi #AS400 #IBMiLUG #IBMChampion #Texas pic.twitter.com/AKPolx7SWE- Central Texas IBM i User Group (@CTXiUG)08:00 – Sep 12, 2022
- Register for our #webinar, Assuring the Privacy of #IBMi Data, on October 12 and learn the key concepts you need to know about #dataprivacy for your customers, business partners, and employees.by Ilija Milos (@IM55016804) on 2022-09-24 at 12:38
Register for our #webinar, Assuring the Privacy of #IBMi Data, on October 12 and learn the key concepts you need to know about #dataprivacy for your customers, business partners, and employees. okt.to/ewFXkA pic.twitter.com/h660ybIkHx- Ilija Milos (@IM55016804)05:01 – Sep 24, 2022
- Robot | IBM i Performance Tips: Minimize Downtime and Maximize Resourcesby HelpSystems on 2022-09-23 at 23:19
And can you use analysis of historical data to optimize your performance and capacity planning? This is your opportunity to learn a variety of critical performance tips that span the areas of:
- Processing More Efficient & Get Your IBMi Space Back Files that contain deleted records should be reorganized periodically. This frees up wasted space, but more importantly it makes database processing more efficient. BCS-RWA #REORGWhileActive #ibmi #as400by BCS Group, LLC. (@bcsgroupllc) on 2022-09-23 at 22:15
Processing More Efficient & Get Your IBMi Space BackFiles that contain deleted records should be reorganized periodically. This frees up wasted space, but more importantly it makes database processing more efficient. BCS-RWA #REORGWhileActive #ibmi #as400 lnkd.in/evVQ_3tq- BCS Group, LLC. (@bcsgroupllc)13:29 – Sep 23, 2022
- Dawn May presents… “IBM i Performance Tools for Application Developers” at the September Omni Remote Meeting, this Tuesday 9/27 on Zoom! Register now at… #ibm_i #performance #developers #powersystems #commonug #presidentby The Omni User (@omniuser) on 2022-09-23 at 22:15
Dawn May presents… “IBM i Performance Tools for Application Developers” at the September Omni Remote Meeting, this Tuesday 9/27 on Zoom!Register now at… omniuser.org #ibmi #ibm_i #performance #developers #powersystems #commonug #president pic.twitter.com/u0ymcHgAD0- The Omni User (@omniuser)13:23 – Sep 23, 2022
- Many of us at iTech work remotely in different states. It’s always good when some of us can get together in person. This photo is from last week during our visit at Service Express. #IBMiby iTech Solutions | A Service Express Company (@iTech_Sol) on 2022-09-23 at 20:02
Many of us at iTech work remotely in different states. It’s always good when some of us can get together in person. This photo is from last week during our visit at Service Express. #IBMi pic.twitter.com/IJDm4w9xiC- iTech Solutions | A Service Express Company (@iTech_Sol)11:09 – Sep 23, 2022
- Make a note of the next #N2i Happy Hour! Take a break and join us to get your burning #IBMi related questions answered and meet new people. No cost to you; this one is on us! Register today: #COMMONug #NetworkWithN2iby COMMON (@COMMONug) on 2022-09-23 at 19:04
Make a note of the next #N2i Happy Hour! Take a break and join us to get your burning #IBMi related questions answered and meet new people. No cost to you; this one is on us! Register today: bit.ly/3xPHIIx #COMMONug #NetworkWithN2i pic.twitter.com/q4tITU8Uax- COMMON (@COMMONug)10:06 – Sep 23, 2022
- 008 IBM i Security Experts Robert Andrews and Thomas Hazeon 2022-09-23 at 18:08
008 It’s security week friends and you will enjoy this episode with IBM I security experts – Robert Andrews, executive security consultant team lead for IBM I security and Thomas Haze, IBM i cryptographic security development.Thom and Robert share their insights on the latest security hot topics like ransomware, anatomy of a password, security policies and what you can expect at COMMON’s i on Security conference scheduled for October 3-5. Need more security how-to training? Sign up for i on Security in person event at Navigate! See below for details!Thomas Haze, IBM i Cryptographic Security Development at IBM, speaker and authorEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org LinkedInSubscribe to the security bulletin notifications: https://www.ibm.com/support/mynotificationsRobert Andrews, Executive Security Consultant / STSM, Team Lead for IBM i Security and Authentication Technology Services, speaker and author Email: email@example.com LinkedInRansomware whitepaper: https://ibm.box.com/v/Ransomware-and-IBMi One incredible Th(i)ng! Products, gadgets, recipes, music, or things we are loving right now.Thom’s pick for the week:Hanging out with his son watching all the Marvel movies in order! Roberts’s pick for the week:Emergency Management – first summer back with in person events!Peg’s pick for the week:IBM i Community!Thank you Kisco for sponsoring Security Week!Upcoming Events:In person or virtual – October 3-4, 2022NAViGATE 2022 St. Louis, MOIn person ONLY October 3-4, 2022i on SecurityAn IBM i Cybersecurity EventRPG & DB2 Summit October 18 – November 3, 2022MAGIC November14-15, 2022This episode is sponsored by…imPOWER TechnologiesWe have a new show sponsor – imPower Technologies. imPower Technologies is your go to resource for learning ILE RPG, RDi, SQL and all things IBM i. Check out the show notes for more information and reach out to Jim Buck and Michelle Lyons – they are happy to help.COMMONMidrange Dynamics Change Management Software – Built for IBM i modernization!Be sure to check out our website, LinkedIn page and like and subscribe – all those things! Interested in sharing your IBM i story? Want to sponsor the podcast? We want to hear from you! Reach out to Peg
- The #IBMi ODBC driver is now easier to install and update using either #Yum or #ACS. @alanseiden shows us how to do it: #ODBC #Db2foriby Seiden Group (@SeidenGroup) on 2022-09-23 at 17:55
The #IBMi ODBC driver is now easier to install and update using either #Yum or #ACS. @alanseiden shows us how to do it: ow.ly/r4na50KH3lE #ODBC #Db2fori pic.twitter.com/F5GJG8sAzt- Seiden Group (@SeidenGroup)09:04 – Sep 23, 2022
- Using SQL data types in #IBMiRPG. 💙#IBMi #rpgpgm #IBMChampionby Simon Hutchinson (@RPGPGM) on 2022-09-23 at 17:55
Using SQL data types in #IBMiRPG.💙#IBMi #rpgpgm #IBMChampionrpgpgm.com/2018/09/sql-ty…- Simon Hutchinson (@RPGPGM)09:24 – Sep 23, 2022
- Enterprise Job Scheduling Cure the Headaches of Your Native Schedulerby HelpSystems on 2022-09-23 at 16:10
Wrestling with the complex format of cron, or dealing with the limited features in Windows Task Scheduler or SQL Agent? Native schedulers are a great way to get started with job scheduling, but as your IT environment gets more complex, scheduling batch jobs using native tools can be hard to manage, and difficult to scale. Join us to learn how JAMS, an enterprise job scheduler, makes it easy to modernize your automation so you can centrally schedule, monitor, and secure the jobs and workloads your company relies on. Eliminate the headaches and break free from your complicated and limited native scheduler, and see how JAMS can: • Centralize all your jobs—no matter the platform – and monitor that entire ecosystem under a single pane of glass • Automate jobs how you want them with enterprise scheduling features like dependencies, triggers, reporting, calendaring, and more • Give you more visibility into how your jobs are performing with alerts and notifications that reduce downtime • Easily convert your existing jobs to JAMS for a fast and painless migration
- Common: Developer Guide to DevOps & CI/CD Pipelines – Donna Westmorelandby learn.common.org on 2022-09-23 at 15:57
Donna Westmoreland, who is CTO for Midrange Dynamics North America, has over 25 years’ experience with IBM midrange systems and supporting consistent software change methodologies. DevOps empowers modern development teams to deal with constant change, while improving quality and reducing downtime.
- #IBMi – The switch to using SQL in your HLLs (e.g., RPG, COBOL, C/C++) seems to be going in a very narrow direction. IBM i Developers are using embedded SQL to access data; and this is a good thing. But there are very few (perhaps only “dozens” world-wide…by SQL iQuery for #IBMi (@sqliquery) on 2022-09-23 at 15:19
#IBMi – The switch to using SQL in your HLLs (e.g., RPG, COBOL, C/C++) seems to be going in a very narrow direction. IBM i Developers are using embedded SQL to access data; and this is a good thing. But there are very few (perhaps only “dozens” world-wide…lnkd.in/dabHhgK7- SQL iQuery for #IBMi (@sqliquery)06:12 – Sep 23, 2022
- Registration is now open for the i-UG Conference Midlands 2022. Don’t miss out! Join us for an educational conference for IBM i professionals. Taking place on Thursday 3rd November. Register today: #IBMi #techconference #educate #iugby i-UG IBM i UserGroup (@i_ug_uk) on 2022-09-23 at 12:57
Registration is now open for the i-UG Conference Midlands 2022. Don’t miss out! Join us for an educational conference for IBM i professionals. Taking place on Thursday 3rd November. Register today: buff.ly/3S3ybFQ #IBMi #techconference #educate #iug pic.twitter.com/0WaPVrwJBH- i-UG IBM i UserGroup (@i_ug_uk)05:28 – Sep 23, 2022
- Talsco Weekly: 6 tips for Digital Transformationby patrick staudacher on 2022-09-23 at 08:10
Welcome to another edition of Talsco Weekly IBM i: 2023 IBM i Marketplace Survey. Transformation: 6 tips for Digital Transformation. Blockchain: Does your IBM i shop have the oracle problem? Lotus Notes: Domino – Maintain, Commit to, or Vacate? IBM i 2023 IBM i Marketplace Survey “Last year, almost 500 IBM i users from around The post Talsco Weekly: 6 tips for Digital Transformation appeared first on IBM i (AS/400, RPG) Recruiting, Staffing & Consulting.