IBM i modernization is the process of updating your IBM i system to take advantage of the latest features and technologies. This can include anything from upgrading to the latest version of the operating system to migrating your applications to the cloud.
There are many benefits to modernizing your IBM i system. By taking advantage of the latest features and technologies, you can improve performance, increase security, and reduce costs. In addition, modernizing your system can help you keep up with changing business needs and stay competitive in today’s marketplace.
What is IBM i modernization?
If you’re considering IBM i modernization, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, it’s important to understand what what of the many options are available and how they can benefit your business. Second, you need to consider the costs associated with modernization, as well as any potential risks. Finally, it’s important to work with a trusted partner who has experience modernizing IBM i systems.
Modernizing your IBM i system can be a big undertaking, but it’s worth it if it means improving performance, increasing security, and reducing costs. When done right, modernization can help you keep up with changing business needs and stay competitive in today’s marketplace.
What are the benefits of IBM i modernization?
There are many benefits to modernizing your IBM i system. Some of the most significant benefits include:
– Increased productivity and efficiency: Modernized systems are easier to use and require less training. This can lead to higher productivity and efficiency for your employees.
– Improved customer satisfaction: A modernized system can help you provide better customer service, which can lead to improved customer satisfaction.
– Reduced costs: Modernizing your system can help you save money on maintenance and support costs.
– Increased competitiveness: A modernized IBM i system can give you a competitive edge over businesses that haven’t modernized their systems.
What are the key components of modernizing on the IBM i?
There are three key components of IBM i modernization: hardware, software, and services.
Modernization starts with hardware. IBM i systems are some of the most reliable and scalable in the world, but they can’t last forever. At some point, you’ll need to replace your aging IBM i system with new hardware. But don’t worry – there are also plenty of options available, from entry-level systems to high-end enterprise servers.
The next component is software. Over time, the software that runs on your IBM i system may become outdated. In order to keep up with the latest changes in technology, you’ll need to modernize your software. This can be done by upgrading to newer versions of existing software or by replacing old software with new applications that offer similar functionality.
Finally, there are services. As your IBM i system ages, it will become increasingly difficult to find qualified support staff who are familiar with the platform. That’s why it’s really important to partner with an experienced service provider like LANSA who can help you maintain and support your system as it evolves over time.
What are the challenges of modernizing IBM i systems?
There are a few challenges that can come along with IBM i modernization. One challenge is that some of the software and applications that are currently running on IBM i may not be compatible with newer versions of the operating system. This can lead to issues with data migration, as well as potential downtime for your business while the systems are being updated.
Another challenge is that some of the hardware that is currently being used may also need to be updated so it can work with newer versions of IBM i. This can be a costly endeavor, and it may not be possible to update all of the hardware at once. This can lead to a phased approach to modernization, which can be disruptive to business operations.
Finally, training may be required for staff members who will be using the new system. This can add to the overall cost of modernization and may take some time to complete.
How can you overcome the challenges of modernizing IBM i software?
There are a number of challenges that can come with IBM i modernization, but there are ways to overcome them. One of the biggest challenges is getting significant buy-in from stakeholders. This can be difficult because people may not understand the need for modernization or may be resistant to change. However, it’s important to make a case for modernization and show how it can benefit the business.
Another challenge is finding the right resources. This includes both people and money. You need to have a team in place that knows how to modernize an IBM i system and you need to have the budget to do so. Once you have these resources in place, you can start working on overcoming other challenges such as data migration, application compatibility, and testing.
With the right resources and good planning, you can overcome the challenges of IBM i modernization and modernize your system successfully.
What are the best practices for IBM i modernization?
When it comes to modernizing your IBM i, there are a few best practices to keep in mind. First, you’ll want to consider what business needs are driving the modernization effort. Is it to improve customer experience, reduce operational costs, or something else entirely? Once you’ve identified the key business driver, you can start to map out a plan for modernization.
Next, you’ll want to consider which applications and data sets are most critical to your business. These are the areas that you’ll want to focus on first when modernizing your IBM i. Once you’ve identified these critical areas, you can start to look at different modernization options and strategies.
Finally, it’s important to remember that modernization is a journey, not a destination. As such, it’s important to have a flexible plan that can be adjusted as needed. And don’t forget to involve all stakeholders in the process—from executive leadership down to front-line employees. Follow these industry best practices and you can help ensure a successful IBM i modernization effort.
What are the common mistakes made during IBM i modernization?
There are several common mistakes that are made during IBM i modernization. First, many organizations fail to take into account the different types of data that need to be migrated. This can lead to lost data or corrupted data. Second, many organizations do not properly plan for the migration process. This can lead to disruptions in business operations and missed deadlines. Finally, many organizations do not properly test their applications before migrating them. This can lead to errors and bugs in the migrated application.
How can you avoid making common mistakes during modernization on IBM i?
Here are a few basic mistakes that people make during IBM i modernization:
– Not doing enough research: It’s important to understand what you’re getting into before you start the process. Otherwise, you could end up making choices that aren’t right for your situation.
– Trying to do too much at once: It’s important to take things slowly and focus on one thing at a time. When you try to do too much, you’ll likely end up feeling overwhelmed and discouraged.
– Not considering all of your options: There are a variety of ways to modernize your IBM i system. Make sure to explore all of your many options and choose the one that’s right for you.
– Not having a plan: Without a plan, it’s easy to get lost in the process and end up making costly mistakes. Make sure you know and keep track of what you want to achieve plus how you’re going to get there before you start modernizing your system.
What are the success factors for modernizing IBM i?
There are several success factors for IBM i modernization. One is to have a clear understanding of the business goals that you’re trying to achieve. What are some of the many pain points that you’re trying to address? What are the opportunities that you’re looking to capitalize on? Once you have a nice understanding of your goals, you need to put together a team of experts who can help you achieve them. This team should include people with expertise in IBM i, application development, and cloud computing.
Another important success factor is to develop a comprehensive plan. This plan should include an assessment of your current environment, an analysis of your business goals, and a good roadmap for how you’re going to achieve those goals. The plan should also include timelines, milestones, and budget considerations.
Finally, it’s important to partner with a reputable IBM i modernization provider like LANSA. This partner should have extensive experience modernizing IBM i applications and should be able to provide you with the resources and support that you need to succeed.
What are the steps for IBM i modernization?
There are four normal steps for IBM i modernization:
– Re-platforming to a new system
– Refactoring code
– Rewriting applications
– Retraining staff
While each organization’s specific needs will differ, these are generally the four main steps involved in IBM i modernization.
1. Re-platforming to a new system: This step involves moving your existing data and applications to a new system. This can be done through migration tools or by manually recreating your applications on the new platform.
2. Refactoring code: Once you’ve moved to the new platform, you’ll need to refactor your code to take the best advantage of the new system’s many capabilities. This can involve making changes to your existing codebase or rewriting portions of your code from scratch.
3. Rewriting applications: In some cases, it may be necessary to completely rewrite your applications on the new platform. This step is usually only necessary if your existing application is not compatible with the new system or if it is not able to take advantage of the new system’s capabilities.
4. Retraining staff: Finally, you’ll need to retrain your staff on how to use the new system. This includes providing training on how to use the new platform and how to work with the new applications.
Is there a better way to modernize IBM i applications?
Yes! Re-platforming, refactoring code, rewriting applications, and retraining staff are all expensive! However, LANSA offers a set of tools which allows you to modernize your systems without having to deal with some of these steps.
With LANSA’s aXes you can transform existing 5250 screens into web pages out-of-the-box, without changing source code. Optionally, change the default modernization rules to suit your requirements and apply the changes automatically across all screens in an application.
RAMP allows you to design the application of your dreams and then let LANSA figure out how to repurpose existing assets to run inside the new system.
LANSA’s Portalize is a fully functional, fully customizable portal framework loaded with the most essential portal features right out of the box.
Ready to find out more about our IBM i solutions that can save you time and money? Contact us!
The post Everything You Need to Know About IBM i Modernization appeared first on LANSA.